For over a century, the American Academy in Rome has awarded the Rome Prize to support innovative and cross-disciplinary work in the arts and humanities. 2019 Rome Prize applications are now open. Application deadline is November 1, 2018.
Each year, the prize is awarded to about thirty artists and scholars who represent the highest standard of excellence and who are in the early or middle stages of their careers.
Fellowships are awarded in the following disciplines:
- Ancient Studies
- Design (includes graphic, industrial, interior, exhibition, set, costume, and fashion design, urban design, city planning, engineering, and other design fields)
- Historic Preservation and Conservation
- Landscape Architecture (includes environmental design and planning, landscape/ecological urbanism, landscape history, sustainability and ecological studies, and geography)
- Literature (includes fiction, literary nonfiction, and poetry)
- Medieval Studies
- Modern Italian Studies
- Musical Composition
- Renaissance and Early Modern Studies
- Visual Arts (includes painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, film/video, installation, new media, digital arts, and other visual-arts fields)
See website for more information.