Vision Statement for the Arts and Humanities at Iowa State University
With recommendations for the Center for Excellence in the Arts and Humanities (CEAH)
September 21, 2017 (revised October 6, 2017)
Iowa State University aspires to lead the world in advancing the land-grant ideals of putting science, technology, and human creativity to work. In pursuing this larger goal, Iowa State will enhance the capacity of artists, designers, and humanists to exert radical impact on the innovation potential of the institution and the State.
The thorough integration of the arts and humanities as a holistic component in all aspects of research, learning and engagement will be the next great challenge for the American research university. Such integration can marshal talent from all domains of the university to shape solutions to staggeringly complex contemporary problems.
Central to the vision is the advancement of an academic culture that fosters understanding and interdisciplinary engagement among the humanities and arts with other fields on campus. As part of this transformation, we see artists, designers, and humanists expanding on their roles as:
- Imaginers, Innovators, Disruptors
- Scholars, Knowledge Creators
- Communicators, Forecasters
- Educators, Challengers
By raising scholarly activity, visibility, and impact of the university’s artists, designers, and humanists, the Center for Excellence in the Arts and Humanities (CEAH) will serve as an essential force in advancing Iowa State University’s national and international profile as a leading research university.
Faculty from the arts and humanities will be encouraged to engage with multiple external and internal communities thereby demonstrating and amplifying the impact of their research and teaching. CEAH will play a significant role in initiating and facilitating implementation of this distinctively holistic approach.
Recommendations for CEAH are that the Center consider four overarching themes in developing a strategic plan to support this vision:
- Creation of a highly visible presence for CEAH on campus and in campus life
- Empowering interdisciplinary and boundary-breaking faculty and graduate student research including basic arts and humanities scholarship as well as applied research and projects
- Empowering undergraduate students to understand interdisciplinary perspectives and their social context
- Developing connections and joint activities with stakeholders in the State of Iowa and national arts and humanities communities